The grandma is the main antagonist of Cookie Clicker Classic and the 1.0 Update, and the second building you can purchase with an initial cost of 100 cookies. She produces cookies at a base rate of 1 CpS.
Unlike the Cursor and Farm, grandmas progress with later buildings very well with the grandma type upgrades, most of which double its efficiency but require 15 or more of a superior building to purchase, and sometimes can be quite expensive, up to 60 sextillion cookies for Alternate grandmas. After all upgrades, each grandma has a CpS of cookies per second herself, not counting the bonuses from One mind, Communal Brainsweep, and Elder Pact.
Once you have unlocked 7 grandmas, you unlock the Bingo Center/Research Facility, which (as of 1.036) is currently the only upgrade to make a building four times as efficient, although its price of 1 quadrillion cookies means it'll be a while until it's worth the cost. This will unlock a new upgrade after 30 minutes (research only starting once the last item researched is purchased), including five multiplier upgrades, one upgrade to double grandma efficiency, and three upgrades to greatly increase grandma output but start the Grandmapocalypse.
|Elder nap||Appease the grandmatriarchs at least once.
|Elder slumber||Appease the grandmatriarchs at least 5 times.
|Elder calm||Declare a covenant with the grandmatriarchs.
|Icon||Name||Unlock condition||Base price||Description||ID|
"A festive hat" or evolving Santa
|2,525 ×||Grandmas are twice as productive.
Cost scales with Santa level.
"This list contains every unholy deed perpetuated by grandmakind.
He won't be checking this one twice.
Once. Once is enough."
|Elderwort biscuits||1% chance of dropping after harvesting a mature elderwort [note 1]||7,200 x CpS||Cookie production multiplier +2%.
Grandma production multiplier +2%.
Dropped by elderwort plants.
Cost scales with CpS.
"They taste incredibly stale, even when baked fresh."
"Armies of energy drink-fueled grandmas ready to hack into the cyberspace for renegade e-cookies."
|Fortune #002||Random fortune from news ticker||Grandmas are 7% more efficient and 7% cheaper.
"A wrinkle is a crack in a mundane facade."
|"Kitten angels" purchased||Each kitten upgrade boosts grandma CpS by 29%.[note 2]
"Oh no. Oh no no no. Ohh this isn't right at all."
|Milkhelp® lactose intolerance relief tablets
|"Cat ladies" purchased||Each rank of milk boosts grandma CpS by 5%.[note 3]
"Aged like milk."
The Bingo Center/Research Facility can also unlock new upgrades for grandmas. Although these upgrades can make grandmas more powerful, they would unlock the Grandmapocalypse as well. The following is a list of all upgrades for Grandma, unlocked in the Bingo Center/Research Facility. Once the Bingo Center is purchased, the first research project will be completed 30 minutes later. Once a research project is completed, research is halted until the resulting upgrade is purchased, which starts the 30-minute timer for the next project.
|Icon||Name||Unlock condition||Base price||Description||ID|
|Bingo center/Research facility||"Elder" achievement earned
At least 7 grandmas owned
|Grandma-operated science lab and leisure club.
Grandmas are 4 times as efficient.
Regularly unlocks new upgrades.
"What could possibly keep those
grandmothers in check?...
|Ritual rolling pins||3rd research project completed||Grandmas are twice as efficient.
"The result of years of scientific research!"
|One mind [note 4]||5th research project completed||Each grandma gains +0.02 base Cps per grandma.
Note: the grandmothers are growing restless. Do not encourage them.
"We are one. We are many."
|Communal brainsweep||7th research project completed||Each grandma gains another +0.02 base Cps per grandma.
Note: proceeding any further in scientific research may have unexpected results. You have been warned.
"We fuse. We merge. We grow."
|Elder Pact||9th research project completed||Each grandma gains +0.05 base CpS per portal.
Note: this is a bad idea.
"squirm crawl slither writhe
today we rise"
- Once this upgrade is unlocked, all future ascensions will have it immediately available for purchase from the store.
- For each upgrade (including heavenly upgrades) that has "purrchased" replacing the usual "purchased" text, it gives a multiplicative bonus of 1.29× to Grandma's CpS.
- For each achievement completed, it gives an additive bonus of 0.2% to Grandma's CpS.
- Purchasing the One mind upgrade triggers the beginning of the Grandmapocalypse.
Changes During Grandmapocalypse
- Main article: Grandmapocalypse
Changes from one stage to another can be obtained by the One Mind, Communal Brainsweep and Elder Pact upgrade. Once the Grandmatriarchs are appeased, the background will change back to normal, as well as the store icon changing back to the regular grandma, until the Elder Pledge runs out or if you revoke the Elder Covenant.
Store Icon Changes
Since version 1.0393, the store icon for grandmas will change from the regular version to different ones, depending on the state of the Grandmapocalypse.
Unlike other buildings, grandmas have the possibility to be named. Hovering over a Grandma in the building section will reveal her name and age. In addition to the various generic "grandma-sounding" names that are included by default, Patreon supporters over a certain tier have the privilege to submit a custom name with will appear highlighted in white while hovering. Patreon-submitted names can be turned off from the options menu, only displaying the generic names from the default list.
- The outfit worn by bunny grandmas during Easter may be a reference to the 2001 film Donnie Darko.
- The achievement "The old never bothered me anyway" is a reference to a line from "Let It Go", the Disney movie "Frozen" theme song.
- The achievement "Panic at the bingo" is a reference to the pop-rock band "Panic! at the Disco".
- The appearance of an Altered Grandma resembles that of an angered Grandmatriarch during the Grandmapocalypse.
- To further support this, the research/bingo center upgrade would be available at around the time the player buys the Altered Grandma.
- The achievement "Defense of the ancients" is a reference to the Dota 1 video game, the irony is that the achievement refers to the fact that we must defend the grandmothers.
- The achievement "But wait 'til you get older" is a reference to the song "All Star" by Smash Mouth.
|Buildings overview • Category:Buildings|