Cookie Clicker Wiki
A sugar lump.

Sugar Lumps are a secondary in-game currency (along with Cookies), and are unlocked once you've baked at least one billion cookies. Once unlocked, the player gets a message telling them about sugar lumps, and the first sugar lump starts to grow (located just below the Stats button). Your sugar lumps (and the building levels purchased with them) are permanent, and will carry over across ascensions. You can harvest a Sugar Lump by clicking on it when it is ripe. If you forget to harvest one, don't sweat it - ripe lumps will fall and be harvested automatically if you don't do it in time, and it even works while the game is closed. Sugar Lumps (and their bonuses) are disabled when starting an ascension in Challenge Mode, but they'll still fall (be auto-harvested) behind the scenes.

Harvesting a Sugar Lump when it is mature but not ripe will result in a 50% chance to not get anything. (Reloading the tab without saving can give you another attempt at harvesting it). Once a Sugar Lump is harvested, another one will begin growing immediately in its place. You can also get a single Sugar Lump from clicking a Golden Cookie with the "Sweet" effect (an exceedingly rare outcome that has a 1 in 5000 chance of occurring) and harvesting a Juicy Queenbeet (an extremely rare garden plant that requires a lot of trial and error to find). Sacrificing a full seed log in the Garden will give you 10 Sugar Lumps at the cost of all your unlocked garden plants.

Lump Types

There are five different types of Sugar Lumps, each with varying effects. The most common Sugar Lump is a normal Sugar Lump, which has no special effects. There is a small chance to grow either a Bifurcated, Caramelized or Golden Sugar Lump. A Bifurcated Sugar Lump has a 50% chance to give you 2 sugar lumps instead of just one. During the Grandmapocalypse, Meaty Sugar Lumps may grow instead, which grant between 0 and 2 Sugar Lumps.

Caramelized Sugar Lumps are somewhat rare, drop between 1 and 3 Sugar Lumps, and has the additional benefit of refilling Sugar Lump cooldowns. Golden Sugar Lumps are much more powerful and extremely rare. When harvested, several things will happen: You will gain anywhere between two and seven Sugar Lumps, your current cookie amount will be doubled, and Golden Cookies will appear 10% more often for the next 24 hours.

The type is determined when the Sugar Lump is generated right after harvesting the previous Sugar Lump. When the game is closed, all auto-harvesting Sugar Lumps after the first one will be normal, hence yield 1 sugar lump each.

Icon Name Number of lumps
when harvested
Secondary effects Description ID
Sugar lump.png Normal sugar lump 1 None N/A 0
Bifurcated sugar lump.png Bifurcated sugar lump 50/50 chance of 1-2

With Sucralosia Inutilis:
47.5% chance of 1
52.5% chance of 2

None This sugar lump grew to be bifurcated; harvesting it has a 50% chance of yielding 2 lumps. 1
Golden sugar lump.png Golden sugar lump Equal chance of 2-7 Current cookies in bank is doubled (max. 24 hours of CpS), and a buff called "Sugar blessing" is activated, which increases the spawn rate of golden cookies by 10% for 24 hours This sugar lump grew to be golden; harvesting it will yield 2 to 7 lumps, your current cookies will be doubled (capped to a gain of 24 hours of your CpS), and you will find 10% more golden cookies for the next 24 hours. 2
Meaty sugar lump.png Meaty sugar lump 40% chance of 0
20% chance of 1
40% chance of 2
None This sugar lump was affected by the elders and grew to be meaty; harvesting it will yield between 0 and 2 lumps. 3
Caramelized sugar lump.png Caramelized sugar lump Equal chance of 1-3 Refills sugar lump cooldowns This sugar lump is caramelized, it's stickiness binding to unexpected things; harvesting will yield between 1 and 3 lumps and will refill your sugar lump cooldowns. 4

The ID column in the above table is used in the backend of the game. When using console, writing Game.lumpCurrentType will return the type of currently growing Sugar Lump. This command also works during the first 4 stages of Sugar Lump growth when the difference between Sugar Lumps is not yet visible (see section below).

Growth Stages

In the early stages of growth, the sugar lump types appear identical. Starting at stage 5, meaty, caramelized, and golden will appear different, while bifurcated is indistinguishable from normal until the last stage. When hovering over a stage 4-7 sugar lump, the tooltip will still inform the player which lump type the lump grew to be even if it does not appear to be different. Each stage lasts for the same amount of time.

Type Stage
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Normal Sugar lump s1.png Sugar lump s2.png Sugar lump s3.png Sugar lump s4.png Sugar lump s5.png Sugar lump s6.png Sugar lump.png
Bifurcated Bifurcated sugar lump.png
Golden Golden sugar lump s5.png Golden sugar lump s6.png Golden sugar lump.png
Meaty Meaty sugar lump s5.png Meaty sugar lump s6.png Meaty sugar lump.png
Caramelized Caramelized sugar lump s5.png Caramelized sugar lump s6.png Caramelized sugar lump.png


Selection of type of sugar lump follows Random list mechanism. Note that all except the first auto-harvesting Sugar Lumps will guarantee to be normal type when the game is closed, so open the game once per ripening cycle to ensure maximal chance of obtaining an abnormal type of lump.

The full selection procedure is:

  • Add Normal to a pool.
  • Check to see if an unusual lump type should be added to the pool
    • If you have the heavenly upgrade Sucralosia Inutilis, 15% chance to add Bifurcated to the pool, otherwise 10% chance to add Bifurcated to the pool.
    • 0.3% chance to add Golden to the pool.
    • 2% chance to add Caramelized to the pool.
    • 0%, 10%, 20% and 30% to add Meaty to the pool if the game is in Appeased, Awoken, Displeased and Angered phase of Grandmapocalypse respectively.
  • If the Dragon's Curve dragon aura is active, repeat the check procedure for unusual lump types one time. If Reality Bending is active, there is a 10% chance of repeating the check an additional time. If both auras are active, there is a 90% chance of repeating the check once, and a 10% chance of repeating twice. Unusual types can be added to the pool more than once.
  • Pick a random sugar lump type from the pool.

Probability tables

No Auras

Phase of


Probability without Sucralosia Inutilis Average

number of lumps

Normal Bifurcated Golden Meaty Caramelized
Appeased 94.6417% 4.6417% 0.0750% 0% 0.6417% 1.032250
Awoken 93.1517% 3.1517% 0.0600% 3.1517% 0.4850% 1.022708
Displeased 88.1517% 3.1517% 0.0600% 8.1517% 0.4850% 1.022708
Angered 83.1517% 3.1517% 0.0600% 13.1517% 0.4850% 1.022708
Phase of


Probability with Sucralosia Inutilis Average

number of lumps

Normal Bifurcated Golden Meaty Caramelized
Appeased 92.1417% 7.1417% 0.0750% 0% 0.6417% 1.046535
Awoken 90.6517% 5.6517% 0.0600% 3.1517% 0.4850% 1.036621
Displeased 87.3183% 4.8183% 0.0600% 7.3183% 0.4850% 1.032246
Angered 82.3183% 4.8183% 0.0600% 12.3183% 0.4850% 1.032246

With Dragon's Curve

Phase of


Probability without Sucralosia Inutilis Average

number of lumps

Normal Bifurcated Golden Meaty Caramelized
Appeased 89.6535% 8.9521% 0.1466% 0% 1.2478% 1.062368
Awoken 86.8587% 6.0444% 0.1163% 6.0444% 0.9362% 1.043656
Displeased 78.0397% 5.8921% 0.1143% 15.0367% 0.9172% 1.042634
Angered 69.8874% 5.7397% 0.1123% 23.3624% 0.8982% 1.041612
Phase of


Probability with Sucralosia Inutilis Average

number of lumps

Normal Bifurcated Golden Meaty Caramelized
Appeased 85.0879% 13.5349% 0.1451% 0% 1.2322% 1.088457
Awoken 82.3659% 10.6239% 0.1153% 5.9682% 0.9267% 1.069079
Displeased 76.5850% 8.9300% 0.1136% 13.4606% 0.9108% 1.059967
Angered 68.5160% 8.6943% 0.1116% 21.7863% 0.8918% 1.058470

Lump Growth and Maturation Time

Initially, a Sugar Lump takes 20 hours to mature, 23 hours to ripen, and 24 hours to fall. Sugar Lumps maturation and ripening can be sped up by a variety of modifiers. The time required for Sugar Lumps to fall is always one hour more than the time required to ripen. Sugar Lump growth is affected by the system clock, similar to offline production. Turning the clock ahead will give you Sugar Lumps, and turning the clock back will increase the time before the next Sugar Lump is available. The shortest possible times are 17 hours 53 minutes and 56 seconds to mature, and 18 hours 57 minutes and 26 seconds to ripen. By putting "saysopensesame" after your name(example: if your name is Bob, then it would be Bob saysopensesame) you can access the Glucose-charged air Debug Upgrade which makes it 36 seconds to mature, 41 seconds to ripen, and 43 seconds to fall.

Modifier Resulting Effect
Stevia Caelestis Ripening time is 1 hour faster
Diabetica Daemonicus Maturing time is 1 hour faster
Sugar Aging Process Ripening time is 6 seconds faster
per grandma (up to 600).
Auras: Reality Bending
/ Dragon's Curve / Both
Maturing time is 0.5% / 5% / 5.5% faster
Ripening time is 0.5% / 5% / 5.5% faster
Rigidel: Diamond / Ruby / Jade Ripening time is 60 / 40 / 20 minutes faster
Ichor syrup garden upgrade Maturing time is 7 minutes faster


Currently, Sugar Lumps are the most precious element of the game, as they are very rare. It is recommended to spend the first 4 Sugar Lumps on unlocking the 4 minigames, then spending Sugar Lumps to enlarge the garden (getting Farms to level 9), and finally saving them for the Sugar baking boost (having 100 lumps). Though, some attempt to gain level 12 cursors prior to saving for the sugar baking boost as this helps with the stock market allowing players to get the maximum level stock market achievement. After this, the player should then spend lumps on the most powerful building to level 10, and do so for every building. After getting all level 10 achievements, the player may then choose to upgrade Cursors to level 20, taking full advantage of the Luminous Gloves upgrade, which, when at level 20, doubles clicking power. After all this has been achieved, the player may choose to spend their lumps however they want, such as in the Grimoire and for Sugar Frenzies, but to remember to keep the total amount of lumps over 100, and is also recommended to keep around 50 spare, just in case a new building is added.

To get level 10 achievements, one needs 55 Sugar Lumps, so 55 * 18 = 990 for all of them. You can harvest ~1.09 mature Sugar Lumps every 17 hours 54 minutes with all relevant upgrades, and appeased grandmas. this requires active harvesting mature lumps, and save scumming botched harvests. Under these conditions, you can get 55 Sugar Lumps in about 37.6 days. If you leave the game closed it will take about 45.7 days. This leaves 37.6 * 18 = 677 days active, or 823 days passive for all level 10 achievements, which amounts to just over two years.

Sacrificing garden may reduce the time to 50% or more, which depends on how active you play. Harvesting Juicy Queenbeets also helps. Both methods requires save scumming to be efficient. If you want to harvest a Golden Sugar Lump and get the All-natural cane sugar shadow achievement, you need to pop 690 Sugar Lumps on average. The "Sweet" Golden Cookies, sacrificing garden and harvesting Juicy Queenbeets will not help since these methods only produce normal Sugar Lumps. That means it takes you around a year and a half on average.

"Sweet" Golden Cookies can be gained quite easily due to the Force the Hand of Fate spell in the Grimoire. When a player ascends, the seed changes, which affects the Force the Hand of Fate outcomes. Because of this, a player can use the spell, click the golden cookie spawned from it, see if it is a "Sweet" or not, ascend, and then repeat. The Fortune Cookie add-on shows the player the outcome from the spell, therefore showing if a "Sweet" Golden Cookie will appear soon, therefore making the player not rely on the first outcome of the spell, and instead look at the list of results instead of blindly hoping for a "Sweet" on the first spell.

Building Level and Minigame

Sugar Lumps are primarily used to level up buildings. Each time a building is leveled up (which can be done on the default screen showing all the buildings), it receives a permanent 1% boost in cookie production, and the price to level it up will increase by one Sugar Lump. Leveling up Farms, Banks, Temples, and Wizard Towers will unlock the Garden, Stock Market, Pantheon, and Grimoire minigames, respectively. Within these minigames, you can also use a single Sugar Lump to refill all 3 of your worship swaps, instantly trigger one growth tick, or refill 100 units of your magic meter. (The Stock Market lacks a sugar lump effect, but benefits from every building being higher level nonetheless.) Later, heavenly upgrades like sugar crystal cookies, aura gloves, and luminous gloves will be dependent on building levels as well.

Building Flavor Text (ends with "granting +X% [Building] CpS.")
Cursor X extra finger(s)
Grandma Grandmas are X year(s) older
Farm X more acre(s)
Mine X mile(s) deeper
Factory X additional patent(s)
Bank Interest rates X% better
Temple X sacred artifact(s) retrieved
Wizard Tower Incantations have X more syllable(s)
Shipment X galaxy(galaxies) fully explored
Alchemy Lab X primordial element(s) mastered
Portal X dimension(s) enslaved
Time Machine X century(centuries) secured
Antimatter Condenser X extra quark flavor(s)
Prism X new color(s) discovered
Chancemaker Chancemakers are powered by X-leaf clovers
Fractal Engine X iteration(s) deep
Javascript Console Equipped with X external library(libraries)
Idleverse X manifold(s)
Cortex Baker X extra IQ point(s)


Icon Name Description ID
Sugar lump s2.png Dude, sweet Harvest 7 coalescing sugar lumps. 266
Sugar lump s4.png Sugar rush Harvest 30 coalescing sugar lumps. 267
Sugar lump.png Year's worth of cavities Harvest 365 coalescing sugar lumps.
"My lumps my lumps my lumps."
Sugar lump s6.png Hand-picked Successfully harvest a coalescing sugar lump before it's ripe. 269
Bifurcated sugar lump.png Sugar sugar Harvest a bifurcated sugar lump. 270
Meaty sugar lump.png Sweetmeats Harvest a meaty sugar lump. 272
Caramelized sugar lump.png Maillard reaction Harvest a caramelized sugar lump. 396
Golden sugar lump.png All-natural cane sugar
(shadow achievement)
Harvest a golden sugar lump. 271

Sugar Lump Upgrades

Icon Name Unlock condition Base price Description ID
Ichor syrup.png Ichor syrup 0.5% chance of dropping after harvesting a mature ichorpuff [note 1] Money.png 7,200 x CpS You gain another +7% of your regular CpS while the game is closed.
(Must own the Twin Gates of Transcendence upgrade.).
Sugar lumps mature 7 minutes sooner.
Dropped by ichorpuff plants.
Cost scales with CpS.
"Tastes like candy. The smell is another story."
Stevia Caelestis.png Stevia Caelestis
(heavenly upgrade)
"Wrinkly Cookies" purchased MoneyHC.png 100 million Sugar lumps ripen an hour sooner.
"A plant of supernatural sweetness grown by angels in heavenly gardens."
Sugar baking.png Sugar baking
(heavenly upgrade)
"Stevia Caelestis" purchased MoneyHC.png 200 million Each unspent sugar lump (up to 100) gives +1% CpS.
Note : this means that spending sugar lumps will decrease your CpS until they grow back.
"To bake with the sugary essence of eons themselves, you must first learn to take your sweet time"
Diabetica Daemonicus.png Diabetica Daemonicus
(heavenly upgrade)
"Stevia Caelestis" and "Lucifer" purchased MoneyHC.png 300 million Sugar lumps mature an hour sooner.
"A malevolent, if delicious herb that is said to grow on the cliffs of the darkest abyss of the underworld."
Sugar craving.png Sugar craving
(heavenly upgrade)
"Sugar baking" purchased MoneyHC.png 400 million Once an ascension, you may use the "Sugar frenzy" switch to triple your CpS for 1 hour, at the cost of 1 sugar lump.
"Just a little kick to sweeten the deal."
Sugar aging process.png Sugar aging process
(heavenly upgrade)
"Sugar craving" and "Diabetica Daemonicus" purchased MoneyHC.png 600 million Each grandma (up to 600) makes sugar lumps ripen 6 seconds sooner.
"Aren't they just the sweetest?"
Sucralosia Inutilis.png Sucralosia Inutilis
(heavenly upgrade)
"Diabetica Daemonicus" purchased MoneyHC.png 1 billion Bifurcated sugar lumps appear 5% more often and are 5% more likely to drop 2 lumps.
"A rare berry of uninteresting flavor that is as elusive as its uses are limited; only sought-after by the most avid collectors with too much wealth on their hands."
  1. Once this upgrade is unlocked, all future ascensions will have it immediately available for purchase from the store.


  • By changing the time on one's computer forward, the player can harvest all the sugar lumps in those time differences. However, setting it back to the normal time or backwards will make the next sugar lump to grow extremely slowly as the time to mature and ripen does not change. When this happens, the game will say that the sugar lump has been exposed to time travel shenanigans and will take as long as how far back you have set in time plus the remaining time to for the current one to mature or ripen. This also changes the sugar lump's appearence to an icon of Orteil's head and various other icons, indicating the player have messed with the system clock.


  • The achievement "Maillard reaction" is named after the chemical reaction that causes sugar to caramelize.
  • The achievement "Sugar sugar" may be a reference to the song "Sugar, Sugar".
    • It may also may also be a reference to the browser game "Sugar, Sugar".
    • It may also may also be a reference to the Eddsworld video of the same name, but this is very unlikely.
  • The heavenly upgrade "Stevia Caelestis" is a reference to stevia, a sugar substitute roughly 30 times as sweet as sugar.
  • The heavenly upgrade "Diabetica Daemonicus" is a reference to diabetes, a medical condition characterized by abnormally high blood sugar levels.
  • The heavenly upgrade "Sucralosia Inutilis" is a reference sucralose, a sugar substitute roughly 600 times as sweet as sugar.
Cookie Clicker game mechanics
Cookies Cookie ClickerClickingBuildings
General AchievementsCpSMilkGolden CookiesNews TickerOptionsCheatingSugar LumpsCookies Per Click
Upgrades Upgrades overview
Multipliers: Flavored CookiesKittens
Research: GrandmapocalypseWrath CookiesWrinklersShiny wrinklers
Ascension AscensionHeavenly ChipsChallenge Mode
Seasons Seasons overview
Valentine's DayBusiness DayEasterHalloweenChristmas
Minigames Minigames overview
GardenStock MarketPantheonGrimoire
Further reading Gameplay